FOUR CONDITIONS OF SUCCESS [SURAH AL- ASR]
وَالْعَصْرِ ﴿١﴾ إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ ﴿٢﴾ إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا
Meaning- By time, mankind is in loss, except those who exhorts people towards truth and exhorts people towards patience.
Surah Asr is one of the shortest and most comprehensive Surahs of the Quran. It contains three verses. About this Surahs, Imam Shafie says: if it was the only Surah in Quran then it would have been sufficient for the guidance of people, provided they meditate over it. If we analysis this Surah, it reveals four conditions of success.
1) Faith ( Iman)
2) Righteous deeds
3) Exhorts people towards truth
4) Exhorts people towards patience.
We will analise all the four conditions in the light of Quran and Sunnah about which Allah swears by time to give success to mankind.
1) Faith- The first condition of achieving success and entering Jannah is Faith. To testify Allah as worth of worship without associating anyone with him, Muhammad saw as the last Messenger of Allah, the Judgement Day and everything which are parts of faith. Allah says in Quran:
قُلْ إِنِّي أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أَكُونَ أَوَّلَ مَنْ أَسْلَمَ وَلاٌ تَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِيـنَ
“Say (O’ Muhammad): “Certainly I have been commanded to be the first of those who submit (to Allah (in Islam)) and unquestionably not to be of those who join (gods) with Allah.”
فَإِلٌهُكُمْ إِلَهٌ وٌاحِدٌ فَلَهُ أَسْلِمُوا وَبَشِّرِ الْمُخْبِـتِينَ
“So then your god is One God: submit then your will (entire presence) to Him (in Islam): and give the good news (O’ Muhammad) to those who humble themselves.”
2) Righteous Deeds- In Quran, wherever faith is mentions, righteous deeds comes after it. Only faith will not be benefitted without good deeds. Quran mentions it in many verses as a reminder-
وَبَشِّرِ الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَعَمِلُواْ الصَّـلِحَاتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ جَنَّـتٍ تَجْرِى مِن تَحْتِهَا الأَنْهَـرُ
And give good tidings to those who believe and do righteous deeds that they will have gardens [in Paradise] beneath which rivers flow.
those [among them] who believed in Allah and the Last Day and did righteousness – will have their reward with their Lord, and no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.
3) Exhorts people towards truth- You must have noticed a term in Quran- امر بالمعروف و نهى عن المنكر “Amr bil Ma’ruf wa Nahy an al Munkar”, which means “Command the good and forbid the bad,”. No one can attain salvation unless he propagates truth to other. Prophet Muhammad saw said- preach Islam even if you only know Allah is one.
4)- Exhort people towards patience- Almighty Allah says in Quran to be patient in many verses.
Surely, Allaah is with those who are As‑Saabiroon (the patient)”[al-Anfaal 8:46]
Muhammad ﷺ interpreted: Patience is Illumination. (Muslim 223)
Quran declares in Surah Al Imran in verse no146– Allah loves those who are patient: As- Saabiroon
Sabr is the key to Jannah-
Verily, I have rewarded them this Day for their patience; they are indeed the ones that are successful”
From the deep analysis of Surah Asr, we can infer that if anyone have these four conditions, will surely enter Jannah. This is Allah’s oath and Allah’s oaths are true.